Tuesday, February 19, 2013

The written word

Today each of the boys had some writing to do.  Grady dictated a letter for his teacher to write and Peter had some journal homework.

I saw Grady's name on a paper as I picked him up from preschool, so I took it with us when we left.  Then I asked Grady about his letter in the car.

He said: Yes, I wrote a "Dear Mother" letter today. It said "Dear Mother, I want my lunch right now."

He didn't remember anything else he put in the letter.  I don't know where he came up with the Mother part and who knows what it was about needing lunch right now.  I was going to take a picture of it, but it's written in yellow marker so it's really hard to see.  I'm sure he picked out the color because it's almost gold.

The letter says: Dear Mom, I miss you.  I want lunch right now.  And I love my preschool. And I want to check that out right now.  I love you.  Love, Grady

I guess I still have to ask him what he wanted to check out right now.  I have a feeling it's like when he's talking on the phone - if he's done, he just says bye and walks away.  Probably when he was done telling his teacher what to write, he said "I want to check that out right now" and just started walking away.

When Peter got home, we talked about what homework he had to do for the week.  He had to write five sentences about what he'd do if he were president.  We talked about it and I helped him come up with lots of ideas.  At one point, he said if he were president he'd have banana splits every Monday.  I asked if he'd make a law about that or if he'd just do it.  He said it would just be for him, because other people might be allergic.

The essay he wrote (with his spelling) says: If I were president Id live in the whit house.  Id eat ice cream every Monday. Id make things free.  Id also have a pet.  Id go to the theater evry day.

I'm so glad I'm raising such cultured children; going to the theater every day, ice cream once a week and even calling their mom 'Mother'.  We can definitely sit down to tea every afternoon in our formal wear and top hats.  I'm sure Grady would love the hats!

No comments:

Post a Comment