Sunday, February 24, 2013

Peter's creations

This week, Peter's been creating.  Somewhat drawing, but also just making things out of sticks and LEGOs and whatever else catches his fancy.

He's been learning about President's Day all this week and I think it's the first time he's come home from school with just THINGS to tell me.  Most of the time I try to find out about his day and what he did and he won't be able to tell me anything.  Not this week.  He's come home almost every day this week with stories about presidents to tell.  They've watched movies about the presidents, done projects, and read stories about them.

He was pretty fascinated to come home and tell us about President Lincoln and the gruesomeness of him dying - "before he could get to the hospital, Grady!".  He learned about President Washington and how he fought in a war.  But his next sentence after finishing that story (where I helped fill in some details about freedom, independence from England, etc.) was: "so who was the first president?".  Not sure if they missed that detail at school.

One day this week, Peter got home and asked to use some popsicle sticks because he "wanted to make the White House".  I thought he was going to build something 3-D ish and I was really hesitant to let him use the glue because of how messy it would be building a model like that.  He said he wanted to glue to a piece of paper, so I finally relented.  He made the house in the picture and glued the pennies on, but I didn't notice the words until later.  I'm not sure why it's specifically Mr. Lincoln's White House and not someone else's.  But I do remember that he asked me if Lincoln lived in the White House and I had to look it up for him.

Then today, Peter wanted to draw with dry erase markers.  He was working on his projects while I brushed my teeth.  He showed me the picture he made of himself as Superman.  Then Grady really wanted a picture of himself.  So Peter dutifully erased his picture and drew a picture of Grady as the Hulk.  Grady was so excited to have a picture of himself drawn by Peter.  He ran to show me and I got a picture of it before any erasing happened.  Peter has definitely always had a thing about being sure to draw a neck for his characters.

And while Peter is super happy to draw things like this and pretend in a "maybe this is real" way, he and Grady got into an argument this week with Peter saying Superman is not real and Grady saying he is.  I'm not sure what Peter's current views on Batman are.  Because you know, Superman can't be real because no one can fly or have heat vision or anything like that.  But Batman doesn't have any actual super powers, so that might still firmly be in his realm of real.

No comments:

Post a Comment