Sunday, February 17, 2013

Reading with friends

It ended up being a very calm morning today.  The boys had their breakfast and then got involved with reading.  For a while, they were both side by side at the book shelf reading parallel books.  Grady got distracted by something and Peter pulled out some other books to look at.  Then, Boris offered to let Peter look at his special MARVEL book and Batman book.  Oh, the ecstasy!  Peter very reverently got out the books (one at a time) and lay on the floor looking through each page.

When the Batman book came out, the Red Robin chess piece also came out to look with Peter.  You can see it in the picture, facing the book so Robin can look with Peter.  It was such a special occasion that Grady came over to look too.  Last time Peter looked at the book, it gave him some nightmares, so I'm hopeful that he can deal with it well enough that he won't have nightmares tonight.

I was able to snap the first picture of the boys looking at the book, but then Grady noticed me and had to turn around and pose.


Peter didn't end up reading with me today to get school points for his "reading log", but I figured he read so much on his own that I wasn't going to push him.  He had a reading test last week for his upcoming report card.  He's supposed to be up to level 16 by the end of the school year.  He just passed level 18 on the test last week!  We were very proud of him.  He's been working so hard on his reading, even when he says he doesn't like it.  He's reading "early chapter books" that I pick up from the library and it's amazing how many words he knows and how fast he's picked it up.



And just as a random aside, Grady asked me today: "If I hit you really hard, you'd still love me, right?".  Yep, but let's not even think of doing that, okay?!

No comments:

Post a Comment