Thursday, March 14, 2013

Peter's Fortune

We went out to Chinese a few weeks ago.  Neither of the boys had very strong memories of the restaurant because it's been so long since we went there.  But when our food arrived - oh, they were in heaven.  Peter sat raving about the Egg Flower Soup.  Both of the boys ate the couple peas and carrots in the soup with no complaints because it was so good.

Peter had Sweet and Sour Chicken and Grady just wanted noodles.  They ate a lot, but still didn't want to try egg rolls.  And Grady was not thrilled that his noodles had lettuce in them, but he ate a bunch of fried rice too.

Then the fortune cookies came.  Peter remembered those and was very happy to eat the cookie and even read his own fortune.  Grady needed help figuring out how to open it.  He sat there trying to swish it somehow and I kept picturing it crumbling all over him and his chair.

Peter's fortune said "You discover treasure where others see nothing unusual".  We explained what that meant and he insisted on keeping his fortune.

I forgot all about the fortune, but the next week we went to play at Daniel's house.  The boys have been taking adventures out into the open space/trails behind Daniel's house when we go play lately.  They come back with all sorts of souvenirs.

The one day, Peter came back and says (very excitedly) "I found a knife".  I about had a heart attack.  I started asking him all kinds of questions to check about all the things that come to mind... did it have blood on it, don't carry it from the pointy side, you didn't point it at people right, where did you find it.  All those sorts of questions.  Then he pulls it out...

Oh, it's a piece of wood that looks nothing like a real knife but it is pointy.  At least I can stop having a heart attack that someone dumped a knife on the trails and my children found it.  For the most part, they find rocks, sticks, balls/dog toys and building material.  So far, the stuff has come home with us each week and then slowly just disappears from the house over the course of a week.

Anyway, when we got home from that trip to Daniel's house, Peter says "I guess my fortune came true".  I had no idea what he was talking about.  He had to explain "you know, I found treasure where other people saw nothing unusual".  Yep son, I guess you're right.  You have quite a bit of treasure there!

No comments:

Post a Comment