Some of Peter's homework each week is to "Rainbow Write" his spelling words. He has to trace over the words using each color in the rainbow.
While he was working on his homework this week, Grady was upset because he wanted to rainbow write too. I told him I'd write some words for him to trace, so he chose "cement truck" because that's his favorite thing. I initially wrote the words just like Peter's assignment is. Like this:
Grady traced the C once or twice and then sat at the table crying. He was so upset because he couldn't see enough of the colors that he was tracing. We tried to explain to him that he was doing a fine job and that was the point of the tracing. You don't have to see all of every color because you're just tracing. It didn't matter to him. He was still upset about it.
So I wrote a new set of hollow block letters for him:
Then he was very happy and "traced" all over them to make them rainbow. I'm pretty sure he wrote his name himself too. I can't tell if he's working on capital or small letters, but he's definitely putting in a lot of effort.
Today he also counted past 40. I've been wanting to work with him a little bit on the counting. We used to work with Peter all the time on numbers and recognition, but somehow we haven't done as much with Grady. While we were sitting in the car today, I just randomly said "bubble gum, bubble gum, in a dish. how many pieces do you wish?" And I had him pick out a number. Then I counted up to that number. After I did it twice, he insisted on doing it himself while I picked out the number for him to count. That might turn in to a car ride activity in the future. We'll see how high he starts getting. He's got a while, but by the end of Kindergarten he needs to be able to accurately get up to 100.
No comments:
Post a Comment