Saturday, April 13, 2013

Peter's first 'running' 5k

Today was a memorial run sponsored by Kaia FIT.  I debated about what to do with the boys and initially decided they could ride their bikes and I could run.  Then last night, Peter decided he didn't want to ride his bike - he wanted to run this year.  One of his friends from school was supposed to be there too (and he did the 5k in October) so Peter wanted to run with him.

This morning we got to the run and couldn't find Peter's friend, but he was still excited to run.  I still made Grady ride his bike because I didn't think he'd be able to keep up walking/running.  Grady almost ran Peter over just as the run started.  I had to keep telling him to watch where he was going and not run into people.  I walked/ran about 3/4 of the way holding onto Grady's handlebars so he wouldn't hit anyone and also so he didn't ride in the middle of the street.

Peter off in the distance
Peter asked a couple times when we would get to the halfway point, but he didn't complain too much.  He weaved in and out between people and left Grady and I behind to catch up with him.  Once we turned around, Peter ran in spurts for the whole way back.  He ended up finishing in about 42 minutes. We were firmly in front of all the walkers and still passing some of the people walking and running.

Grady rode his bike without complaining the whole way, but he definitely zones out.  I think he might sit staring at his front wheel sometimes because he seriously was oblivious to almost running into people.  He said his butt was tired afterwards.  He almost fell over once when he got too close to the curb, but I caught him before he fell.

Grady scooting along on his bike
Even for not being able to run as fast as I normally would, I still worked up a good sweat keeping up with the boys.  I felt like I was going to get a cramp in my side from walking/running bent sideways while I was holding onto Grady's handlebars, but so far I'm not sore from doing that.  I rested for a while this afternoon too.  The first run of the year is very tiring!


We got Dairy Queen in the afternoon to celebrate making it through the 5k.  The boys were both pretty cranky for the rest of the day from being so tired.  They both climbed in bed a little after 7:15 and fell asleep really quickly.  I'll be curious to see if Peter wants to do any more of the 5k's throughout the year.  We're already signed up for Color Me Rad in September.

No comments:

Post a Comment