Sunday, January 20, 2013

Scalloped Potatoes or Not

Today I made Scalloped Potatoes for dinner.  How can you go wrong?  Potatoes, cheese, ham and some creamy sauce.  Even buttered bread crumbs for some extra yumminess.  The boys helped me wash the potatoes and I took care of the slicing and baking.  Peter talked all afternoon about how he loves potatoes.  Grady said he doesn't like potatoes and wouldn't be eating them.

Dinner rolls around.  Peter's eating just fine but Grady's complaining.  He still doesn't want to eat any of the potatoes.

Me: Have a bite of dinner.

Grady: Are there any potatoes in this bite?

Me: Look, here's some ham and see the cheese and the bread crumbs.

Grady: But are there any potatoes in this bite?

Peter: I think I see a potato there Grady.

<only thinking> how are we not understanding that this whole thing is potatoes?

Grady: Where?

Peter: Right there.

Me: Just eat the bite.

Peter: Potatoes are squishy.  Is there anything squishy in your mouth?

Grady: No.

Peter: I guess you didn't have any potatoes in that bite.

Grady keeps eating with some complaint.  He can "see" potatoes sometimes.  As he gets towards the end of the bowl...

Peter <to me>: Is he going to have to eat the .... <whispers> potatoes?

<thinking> yeah, that's really subtle.  and how are we not getting this... the whole thing is potatoes!

In the end, Grady finished his whole serving and then got to have two pieces of chocolate.  I promised the boys tortellinis tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment