Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Clouds and Kids

We got the first snow of the season today. It seemed like it took forever to finally start snowing. Yesterday the wind was really bad almost all day and it made for some interesting cloud formations. Now that we actually have some snow on the ground, the wind has stopped and everything is REALLY cold.

The Eagle
The Manta Ray (or UFO)

Grady started asking if he could go out and play in the snow about 3pm today (that's when there was enough on the ground to do something with). I had to tell him no because we had to get Peter from the bus stop in a half hour or so. Not enough time to put on snow clothes and have playing time.

Grady and Peter had this conversation recently:
Grady: Azrial says he can punch a hole in a table.
Peter: Nonsense.

I'd like to know where he learned that word, said in just that way?!

Yesterday, Grady and I tried out the twinkie pan I bought in an attempt to make "purple minion" cakes. The twinkie recipe turned out very yummy, but even with red and blue food coloring these things didn't turn purple. I might be able to convince Grady to go with chocolate cake made into "purple" minions. Maybe if they at least have purple hair he'll be happy.


Both of the boys have been sort of cranky and in each other's faces lately. This morning, I swear I was only up for 5 minutes before their screaming at each other about something. I don't know if it's the weather, the upcoming birthday, or just that we've been really busy lately, but it's definitely been wearing on me. Today I set a bunch of scraps of paper on the table and told them, any whining, fighting, screaming, etc. means you get to take a scrap of paper and write something you're thankful for. So far, Grady had to write one thing ("Thank you for my friend"). I think the boys are somewhat excited about it, so we'll see how long it lasts. I told them each of the strips gets taped to the burger hut as decorations.


Today Grady and I had an at home day, especially with the weather being so yucky. We cooked a bunch of food and once Grady got tired of helping, this is what he started working on. It brings back a lot of memories. I remember doing the same thing as a child - spending hours, it seemed, with the salad spinner.

And at one point, Grady got up and started heading to the bathroom. When he passed me, he said "You should always listen to your butt". Glad we know and are aware of these important facts.

Peter was very excited at the end of Black Friday when my mom and I came back from shopping with a stuffed penguin and a "creeper" hat. He insisted that it all come to bed with him. Hat on his head, extra animals in his bed. He has to make sure they're all situated just right before he can sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment