Monday, December 9, 2013

Santa and LEGO Exhibition

This weekend we went to see the Peanut Cracker in Carson City. It's the Nutcracker, in a nut shell, designed for the kids to get a taste of the real thing. They have the director of the ballet narrate throughout so the kids know what's going on. They also had Santa there. The boys wanted to see Santa, but absolutely refused to say anything to him. They sat for a picture and then got their candy canes. They also refused to stand next to any of the performers after the show.

Sunday was the big LEGO League exhibition. We were up in Reno for almost the whole day. The exhibition was at UNR. The younger kids got a table to set up their presentation board and their model in the morning, then the judges come by to ask questions. The group had a project about volcanos and made a helicopter and stuff to save people from the volcanos. They won the "Most Inquisitive Minds" award and everyone on the team got a medal. Here's a couple pictures from the exhibition. Obviously we've all been cooped up indoors for a little too long, some more than others.

Grady's section of the presentation board says he's 4, goes to Capital Christian Center Preschool, and he likes to play basketball. Pretty lucky for him that we're getting him a little basketball hoop thing for Christmas.

Peter's is pretty easy to figure out, but I think he still needs some work figuring out what hobbies are.  His hobbies are "arts, pilgrims and that I live in America".



We were in the car driving a bunch this weekend, especially getting up and back from Reno. The boys were totally stir crazy for most of our driving time. They started in doing "blerg" back and forth at each other for a while. Then they moved on to pretend farting on each other. Then Peter pretended to have "the fart so big that it took up the whole universe". Then they picked up their stuffed animals and had the farting so constantly that they were flying all around the car.


It's been cold and snowy since Thursday. And when I say cold, I mean today didn't get above 20 degrees. The snow is really dry so some of it is still melting (or just vaporizing) in the sun during the day. All the main roads are clear but our street has a nicely packed layer of snow on the street. The kids had almost all indoor recess today because it was just so cold. This morning when I dropped Peter off it was -2 degrees.

While we were up in Reno we also stopped at a used bookstore. Both of the boys found some books they liked, including Grady finding a book called "Everyone Poops". When he got home, he looked through all the pages and each page turn involved an exclamation of "look at all that poop". I think there might be a day sometime in the far future when he's grown out of that stage, but I can't be sure.

And lastly, while Peter and I were out at Tumbleweeds tonight, Grady made some LEGO letters. He spelled jam. I don't know exactly why those letters and that word, but when I got home he told me "jam is something you can make with fruit".


No comments:

Post a Comment