In art class, they drew hairy monsters. I forget what Peter told me about his. I think it has four arms and bat wings. Everything around the monster is grey/black because it's nighttime.
Then Peter had a project about sea animals. Peter and his partner had to write about otters. I think it's so cute what they wrote. When Peter showed me the picture, he explained that he drew some puffer fish and I think there's a bunch of surfers too. I don't know what the guy means when he says "loofet!". I find it very amusing that he continues to call things "sea erjins" instead of "sea urchins".
Peter's class actually got to walk across the street from the school to do a nature walk too. I guess they're all getting old enough that it's ok now. They collected sticks and other things that were an indication of fall and then came back to class to make a person or animal out of the things they found. Peter calls his a snake-ail.
Peter got chosen to be a New Student Guide too. I was pretty nervous that he would be upset about the change in routine during the training day (just an hour over lunch), but he was really excited about it. He came home with all sorts of information on what he's supposed to do if there's a new student assigned to him. I don't really know how often new students happen throughout the year, so we'll see if he's called on to use any of his skills. I guess in addition to just being a buddy to the new student, he would be responsible for introducing the new student to all the appropriate staff members: the nurse, the yard duty aides, etc. I guess there's some sort of prize that the new student receives at each staff member's office.
And one of the funniest things from Peter recently... We were talking about his reading. He's started reading Diary of a Wimpy Kid to himself. When he finishes it, he can take a quiz at school to get reading points. I'm going to be really curious to see if he passes the quiz (at least 7 of 10 questions right)... does he understand enough of the words in that book to know what's going on? I think so, but I'm not sure.
Anyway, at school each day they have reading groups. They try to group all the second graders into about eight kids at the same reading level so they can find a level-appropriate book to read all together. Peter says he really doesn't care for reading groups. He told me "when we all have to read together, I end up having to wait too long because everyone reads too slow and they make lots of mistakes. And then I can't read as fast as I want to because I have to wait for everyone. And I don't make many mistakes." I can't help laughing about it. He is a very good reader. And he's right, he really doesn't make many mistakes. He's got a huge vocabulary and I'd say most of the time, every full page of text, I make him reread one or two words that he got wrong. I totally feel for him. I wouldn't want to be held back from finishing the story because we can all only read one page at a time. But I also don't want him to start thinking of himself as always and only the best. But... if I understand the levels correctly, he's reading around an early 4th grade vocabulary and comprehension level. And he does read really fast for his age. In his reading points, he's supposed to have at least 6 points a month. For the month of September, I think he's got around 14 or so. He's been spending about a half hour before bed each night reading too.




No comments:
Post a Comment