We were at Olive Garden celebrating Grandma and Grandpa's anniversary and Grady starts talking about cow pies. Seriously child. Where do you come up with the desire to mention things right at that moment?
And not just talk about them. He says he knows how you can make them! So, Boris stops him and makes him not talk about it during dinner. Which was sad because I really wanted to know how he thought you could make a cow pie. I mean, he knows what it is, so what could he possibly say about making them by himself.
I remembered to ask him in the car after dinner and here was his response: "well, mostly you just make a pile of dirt and mud. Because you can't really make a cow poop if he doesn't need to."
Then one of Grady's preschool friends caught a beetle at preschool. He brought it into the classroom and (since the teacher didn't realize he had it right away), they had to put it in a bowl with a lid, to save it. Grady was so entranced. He told me all about the beetle and how it was crawling all over his friend before they got it into the bowl. And it doesn't bite or anything.
So Grady started asking if he could have a pet ant. We've had some ants in the house. Most of the time I squish them or vacuum them up. Well, after the whole thing with the beetle, Grady came home, found an ant, and started carrying it around. "Look, it's crawling on my hand."
He was so excited about it. Peter got into the action too and held one for a minute or so. Then Peter looks at Grady very seriously and says, "DO NOT name it Grady. If you name it, you'll get too attached and you'll be sad when you have to let it go."
I had to keep my laughter quiet. He was just so grown up and realistic, saying all that. I guess it's because that's what he's heard at school in relation to the caterpillars they are studying. Each of the kids in Peter's class have about three caterpillars that sit at their desk while the kids monitor their progress making a cocoon.
The other day, the boys finally got excited to watch Spaceballs. I had been trying to convince them to watch for a while. I figured it would be a less scary introduction to the idea of Star Wars. Typically, Grady had some freakout times going to bed for the last two days, after seeing the movie. Peter has seemed to be ok so far.
But while we're sitting there watching, we get to the end and Dark Helmet says "I am your father's brother's nephew's cousin's former roommate." The boys are watching, all serious with occasional laughter (especially when I'd laugh), but as soon as that line was spoken, Grady turns to me and sort of out of the corner of his mouth, says "He's lying."
I couldn't help the smile there. Of all the things to analyze, that was the ultimate line for him. In his mind, it obviously was not true. No reason at all that Dark Helmet should say that. He's so funny.
No comments:
Post a Comment