Somehow we were talking about injuries today. Falling down. Breaking bones. All the normal stuff. Grady sprained his knee when he was three. He doesn't have many actual memories of it, but he mentions it every now and then. He remembers something happened, he seems to remember the x-ray process. But then he tells grandma today:
"Now grandma, this was not a daydream. It really happened. I hurt my knee when I was three and I had x-rays. My knee was all green and black. And there was blood shooting out to here" <uses hand to indicate about an inch away from his knee>
Me: It was a sprained knee. There was no blood.
Grady: Yes, there was. It was out to here. <again with the pointing>
Me: No. There was no spurting blood. You had no blood.
Grady: Yes, there was. You just don't remember.
Grandma is sitting in the car next to me, dying of laughter as I try to convince Grady of the lack of blood. I still don't think he believes me. But there is something telling about him having to qualify it with "I wasn't daydreaming". Something went on when there was spurting blood. I just don't think it happened in his waking life.
Then, later in the day while he was watching a movie, something bad happened to the main character. He fell over or got knocked around or something. And Grady says something like "Wow. That's not good. But he's not as unlucky as great-grandpa... cause he's dead."
Where does this come from? I have no idea. Peter and Grady play games where someone is dead all the time, but they always immediately bring him back to life. I guess Grady's just got a lot that he thinks about.
When I was talking to Boris this morning, Boris said he left his camera on the fort.
Grady interrupts the conversation to ask: What do you mean 'fort'?
Please note, we're sitting right at the table. The only window we can look through is pretty much filled up with the swing set and "fort". So I point outside and say "the thing where the slide is connected" thinking maybe he doesn't know what a fort it.
Then he says "where?"
So I point again: Right out there!
Grady: What about the fort?
<as I try to bang my head on the table>
Then, 10 seconds later... still sitting at the table... I tell Peter to go brush his teeth so we can go.
Peter: Can I use my new toothbrush?
Me: Not now. Wait until after your dentist appointment today.
Boris: You don't want him to brush his teeth?
Me: What?
Boris: You want him to not brush his teeth until after the dentist?
Me: What are you talking about?
Boris: Why did you just tell him to not brush his teeth?
Me: I didn't.
Boris: Yes, you did. I just heard you.
<as I try to bang my head on the table again>
Now we know where it comes from. Like father, like son. At least they give me a good laugh most of the time.
Me: I didn't.
Boris: Yes, you did. I just heard you.
<as I try to bang my head on the table again>
Now we know where it comes from. Like father, like son. At least they give me a good laugh most of the time.
No comments:
Post a Comment