
I asked Grady if he was going to miss preschool and he answered no without any hesitation. I think he was getting bored and for the last few weeks he was having a hard time with some of his friends. A couple friends were fighting, so it was hard for him to play with them and in the weeks before that, some of the kids were chasing him around in a way that he didn't like.
All in all, the preschool experience was good for him. He had a couple months where he had a really good time and he really liked his teacher. I'm sad that he didn't really make any lasting friendships, but I also sort-of expected that with all the other kids going to school in a different city than him next year.
His last day of preschool was a picnic and playing party. It ended up being really windy so the picnic moved inside, but then the kids got to play on the playground for a while. Again, Grady had some fun but was iffy on playing with some of the kids because they were acting crazy.
He always seems so grown up when I see him next to kids his own age. Not that he's not a kid or anything, but he gets irritated with tantrums and just seems to act above it most of the time. I'm a little anxious about how he'll do in Kindergarten because I feel like it's again going to be a lot of kids that act younger than him. They're supposed to have three classes of Kindergarteners in the fall and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that he gets a good group of kids.
Then we have Peter. He was also anxious to be done with school. He enjoyed all the stuff they were doing in the last few weeks but he was ready to be done. One of his biggest complaints was that he was getting tired of the same old packed lunch. He was frustrated with the apple or carrots that I'd pack him everyday.Peter's last day of school was a field day. Only a half day too and playing outside the entire time. He didn't actually tell me any of the stuff he did, but it sounded like he had fun. The week before, the 2nd graders had their park day and there were SOOOO many otter pops consumed. Some of the kids told us "this is my 7th one".
Grady got to join in for park day and it was the first year I didn't have to worry about what he was getting into. He played with a bunch of the second graders and stayed well occupied the whole time. And then he came home and pouted for a day or two because his school didn't have a field day on the last day of school. Nope, wasn't good enough that his school went to the swim center either.Now as we start our summer vacation, I've started having the boys make their own breakfast...because there's nothing wrong with them toasting a waffle or pouring some cereal. And I'm not a maid. They walk in to the kitchen all the time asking why they don't have food ready and I tell them the same thing: I'm not a maid. We're going to have to adjust the constant "I'm hungry so I'm grabbing a Clif Bar" though. Those things are expensive, especially when they're an excuse for the boys to not be hungry for the dinner I cooked.
We've been riding bikes and going swimming. We even went bowling this week. I'm trying to convince myself to take the boys swimming every week because they adjust so quickly to getting over their fear of dunking their heads if I take them more often. When we went to the hot springs this week, they were both starting to propel themselves around in the water, but it took a good half hour before they were comfortable. I think about getting them in swim lessons but all the pools are so cold and don't keep the kids moving enough. We'll see what we manage.The boys will have some fun camps and we'll have our big vacation to LEGOland. I'm thinking the summer will go really fast and then we'll end up with a third grader and a Kindergartener. I don't know how that's happened.

No comments:
Post a Comment